Fine Worsted Yak Yarns and Fabrics
This project aims at developing light, thin and high-quality yak knitted fabrics. It is achieved by improving spinning methods and apparatus, optimizing knitting machine settings and parameters, and analysing physical and functional properties of yak with comparison to other animal fibres such as merino wool, cashmere and alpaca in order to facilitate the development of high-quality yak fabrics and textile products.
Yak hair has good features in strength, warmth, odour resistance and breathability, and particularly possesses cashmere like hand feel. However, yak fibres are difficult to be made into yarn because of its short length, large dispersion of fibre length and low fibre cohesion. The success of this project will not only make yak to be better applied in high quality textile products, increase its added-value, enhance the competitive power of local textile industries and bring new business opportunities to them, but also improve the living standard of herders in Tibetan and some other remote communities in China.
• A physical manufacturing method to produce fine worsted yak yarns;
• A multi-roving feeding method applied to a modified conventional ring frame to produce fine worsted yak yarns of high strength, low hairiness and good evenness;
• A multi-strand condenser and related components for the reduction of hairiness by controlling edge fibres on each draft strand;
• A roving separator and related components for developing a multi-level spinning triangle by guiding each roving.
• Cost advantage of yak fibre as compared to cashmere fibre;
• Improved tenacity and hairiness of fine worsted yak yarns as compared to conventional yak yarns at the same twist level;
• Light and soft yak knitted fabrics with better air permeability and warmth than those derived from cashmere and merino wool fibres;
• Eco-friendly as no chemicals, water or steam are required for production;
• Increased added-value and enhanced competitive advantages.
Get in touch with us
If you have any enquiries or comments, feel free to contact us!
* Mandatory fields
Thank you for reaching out.
We will be in touch soon.